New computer source code.. true?

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 17:52

Did anyone hear the story about the dutch inventor Jan Sloot from Nieuwegein who supposedly invented a new computer source code, but died by a heart-attack the day before he was going to place the patent at a lawyers office?

The story aired on television a few days ago and is covered in a cloud of mystery many top people in the industry are involved and were ready to invest in the ground-shaking technology, but noone actually ever was told the secret. Supposedly the inventor was able to play 16 movies from a 64 kb chip at high speed without reading from the harddrive, supposed he was able to store 64 full size movies on a single chip.

His invention involved a new way of digitizing data, which was extremely efficient..

Here's the story http://www.gids.nl/techno/jan-sloot.html try babelfish to translate it :) dutch-speakers can watch the show online http://www.netwerk.tv/index.jsp?p=items ... k&a=131206

Bron: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=43104
Johan1951

Re: New computer source code.. true?

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:04

Perhaps it's the language barrier, but none of this makes any sense. Are you suggesting this person developed some kind of compression algorithm that can fit 16 full length movies in 64 kilobytes?

- Warren
Johan1951

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:05

My friend is in information technology and he believes this stuff is true. I don't think it's real, but he's convinced by the major names involved and the way investors were eager to join in on the business.

It should be an algorithm that manages data in a novel but very simple manner. The guy who developed it was very wary about patenting it, since the idea was so simple. His technology was supported by the ex-director of world online and the follow-up director of Philips (major electronics business), although no one ever had the technology in hands but the inventor..

I don't know much about compression, nothing really :P I remember from the documentary they said that instead of compressing things together, he was taking it apart.

I imagine that he created a code that acts like a key, where he could define long strings of data with a single command. You only store the simple command and expand all the data later. But I'm a skeptic, the cloud of mystery is a little too thick in my opinion..
Johan1951

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:10

Well, the information theorists can tell you exactly how much non-redundant information is in a full-length movie, and they'll say you cannot compress the movie to any size smaller than that, in general. It's entirely possible to coincidentally be able to compress one movie to a very small size, but not ANY movie.

People have been perpetrating hoaxes about enormous compression for years. They're all snake oil. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this guy fleeced the corporate funding people, staged his own death, and left the country with the money.

- Warren
Johan1951

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:11

Yeah, how could you expand the data or whatever without even reading the hard-drive?

64k is freakin small :)
Johan1951

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:12

So how does compression work now? zip, rar, mp3 files? You can take out redundant information, the wavelengths you do not hear or freeze the background of the film when it does not move.

But if you can break up the code in blocks, and only store those blocks, you can dramatically reduce the size if you know the code.

It won't be good for the economy if this were true: no one would need dsl if the data can easily transmitted through phone lines, no one would buy ipods if thousands of songs fit on a cd.
Johan1951

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:13

at high speed

Anyone heard of spintronics? Making electrons spin instead of moving back and forth? That way, you can strore A LOT more data, and access it infinitely faster. It would be very nifty if that was his invention... but I doubt it.

I can dream, can't I?

Andy
AMW Bonfire
Johan1951

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:14

It won't be good for the economy if this were true.

But it would be very good for consumers! And anyone selling the technology... cha-ching!

Andy
AMW Bonfire
Johan1951

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:15

I found the following article which mentions this device

https://doc.telin.nl/dscgi/ds.py/Get/Fi ... Report.pdf

They seem to think that in fact most of the information was stored separately, and the 64kb was a recipe for putting it together.

Possibly it was intended as more of a licence management device - make the library of image prototypes freely available, but require the chip to be present to actually play the movie.
Johan1951

Berichtdoor Johan1951 » wo 20 okt 2010, 18:19

From Chronon's link:
At least two different sensational claims for extreme compression technologies were extensively presented during last few months. First of them, the so-called "Sloot Digital Coding System" was specially designed for compressing digital movies, and is supposed to have been capable of recording one complete, full resolution movie, on an eight kilo byte memory. For a 100-minute movie, at TV quality, this means a compression ratio of approximately 14.25 million to one. Note that current DVDs use the MPEG2 specifications to achieve a compression ratio of about 15 to 1, and the latest MPEG4 encoders can compress a movie about 100 to 175 times, but then with a considerable loss in quality. So, there is a legitimate interest in finding out whether these claims are credible, possible, and reproducible. Unfortunately, there is no scientific or technical information to support these claims, so we can only conclude for now that if a movie has been "compressed" and stored on an 8kB memory chip, then a large amount of the original information should have been available within the "de-compressor" (player). Indeed, further investigations confirmed that the 8kB memory was not used for storing the movie data, but rather a "recipe" to reconstruct an approximate version of the video frames. A huge library for image prototypes had to be used in combination with the 8 kilobytes of externally stored information. Even so, the quality of the movies played by this system was rather low. Another remark refers to the encoding process, which apparently had to be adapted to each particular movie. This suggests that the supposed prototype libraries were not generic (i.e. suited for encoding any movie).
Johan1951

Volgende

Keer terug naar Physics Forums (1004)