An incredible invention: 'The Source Code'

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 07:08

I just heard about a broadcast of the Dutch newsprogram 'Netwerk' about 'De Broncode' ('The Source Code'). I've yet to see the broadcast rerun (11 sept. at 01.50 u. Ned. 1), but here's the story (in short). A true story, which reads like a economic thriller.

Jan Sloot - a seemingly simple television repairman - is the inventor of a coding technology which amazes the world; a new method for saving data. For 20 years he has worked day and night on a little box that would be able to play 64 full length movies from a 64 kB chip. A reduction factor of 2 million. In other words: the invention of the century.

For years he keeps his invention a secret. Together with Philips top manager Roel Pieper he attracts attention from worlds most important investors. In the U.S. Sloot demonstrates his findings, to great excitement of American investors. Tom Perkins - one of the most important investors in this field - predicts Sloot will be one of the richest people in the world, making Billy Boy Gates jealous.

However, not for long will Sloot enjoy his moment of fame and recongnition. Two days after telling the world about his invention he mysteriously dies of a heart attack, taking the secret of his technology to his grave. The key to immeasurable wealth suddenly lost forever.
Was his death a natural death? Some things don't add up and his son didn't trust the course of events but can't prove anything. For example: Sloot was a really messy person. His working room was always stacked with papers and tools and parts. But after they found him dead in the backyard, his room was completely clean and tidy.

Just think about these things:
The impact it would have on the IT world.
Sloot would have made some € 300 billion with his trick.
A factor 2 million!!!

Furter reading (Dutch):
http://www.netwerk.tv/index.jsp?p=items ... k&a=131206
http://www.gids.nl/techno/jan-sloot.html

Bron: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14415
Chris_Geurts

Message(s) : 46

Re: An incredible invention: 'The Source Code'

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 07:09

Sweet urban fable, this has got to be.
;)
Chris_Geurts

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 07:10

No, it's true. I sounds like a fable, but it's true. Prominent people in IT have witnessed it and all say it's a fact. They couldn't believe their eyes either. Roel Pieper fell off his chair when he saw.

It is mind boggling. In his demonstration he played back 16 full length movies from a 64 kB chip... simultaniously... on a single computer with one screen. He said it was even possible to play 64 movies. Contemporary computers have not nearly enough memory to do these kind of things.
Chris_Geurts

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 07:11

The question is if this technology would be used, because it would be the death of other storage devices...
Its like the almost perfect rubber for car wheels... its alrady invented but not used.
Chris_Geurts

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 07:12

It was probably some kind of hoax...but who knows :?
Chris_Geurts

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 07:12

Netwerk is a very serious (backgrounds) news programme with very serious journalists. So is Eric Smit, author of the book 'De Broncode', a reconstruction of events.

Testimonials in this programme were by big people in (international) business and IT.
They all said things to the extent of "I see it, yet I don't believe it" or "This is impossible, yet it is happening".

I'm a very rational person. But I don't believe this is a hoax.
Chris_Geurts

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 07:13

Zorrero wrote:
For 20 years he has worked day and night on a little box that would be able to play 64 full length movies from a 64 kB chip
That makes one kilobyte per movie. That's 8192 bits. If we take a two hour movie with 25 frames per second, that makes 2*3600*25 or 180000 frames, so single frame must be compressed into less than 0.05 bits in average.

Another take: If we have only 256 different frames we can compress one frame per byte, with 25 fps one kilobyte is enough for 1024/25 or 41 seconds.

In other words: I don't believe it.
Chris_Geurts

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 09:59

TNT wrote:

As you already proved.. this has nothing to do with belief but ordinary math. Can't be done.

SainT
Chris_Geurts

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 10:01

TNT wrote:

As you already proved.. this has nothing to do with belief but ordinary math. Can't be done.

SainT

Can't be done?

This sounds a little far fetched, but then so did a television in the 20's.

Never say something can't be done!

That's like saying a Pentium can't OBLITERATE your stinky AMD!

Hehe, sorry just trying to get your goat, ignore me :)
Chris_Geurts

Messagepar Chris_Geurts » Mer 20 Oct 2010, 10:04

Hehe, sorry just trying to get your goat, ignore me :)

/ignore Lasafrog :)

Man, I'm this close to getting my degree in Computer Science.. so I'm not totally ignorant on this matter ;)
Chris_Geurts

Suivant

Retour vers Lemon64.com (0904)