A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb

A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb

Re: A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb

Messagepar Johan1951 » Jeu 14 Oct 2010, 20:53

r6d2: love the sarcasm man. :mrgreen:

callmeace: you need to take a couple basic math classes, dude. You don't know the first thing about math. You're talking sh*t. It's not that people don't understand "your way", it's that YOU don't understand math. You're spewing nonsense. Come back after 4 to 8 years of math and computer science at a reputable university.
Johan1951

Message(s) : 3752

Messagepar Johan1951 » Jeu 14 Oct 2010, 21:23

:) @ all

I won't return any hostility towards some of you. I won't respond to a couple of efforts to degrade this thread into one of those ridiculous 'ego-wars' either ;)

Observe the title - "A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb"

I saw that, I have a way and decided to drop in here and discuss how it can be done. To defend myself ;), I did apologise a few times in advance knowing that I'm not so great at putting across and explaining things, yet some people decided to be rude and a bit nasty to me, although I have kept it friendly.

Well, most of you think you have your maths which prove that this kind of compression is impossible. Okay then! You have it in your minds that it can't be overcome, and are blocked to approaching the task in a different way where your Maths needn't apply. I know my way will work, doubt all you want but I've re-read all the posts in here several times. My posts explain overall pretty well I think (when all read), but I'm not happy to receive rudeness and ridicule, so I thought "well forget it then" as they say. Probably one day someone will reveal that they've been working on such code and then you'll see :) But seriously, I find it odd the resistance to what is actually quite easy to grasp, oh well.
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Jeu 14 Oct 2010, 21:25

Callmeace wrote:
You have it in your minds that it can't be overcome, and are blocked to approaching the task in a different way where your Maths needn't apply.

have you considered moving to a different universe? :)

The one we currently live in is so boring, so blocking, so maths-oriented...
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Jeu 14 Oct 2010, 21:25

@callmeace: Well done in keeping your cool and keeping the conversation civil. Your quite right that having different opinions shouldn't lead to "rudeness and ridicule".

@Joe Fenton: I can see what your trying to say, but your comments were perhaps a little harsh.

I must agree with the majority and think that callmeace's notion of compression is not possible (at least not in the way he thinks, due to too many reasons to list here). But I doubt he can be convinced otherwise, so lets keep it as friendly as possible. :)

Cheers,
-Nic
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Jeu 14 Oct 2010, 21:27

Okay then! You have it in your minds that it can't be overcome, and are blocked to approaching the task in a different way where your Maths needn't apply

You never said why they couldn't apply. We're still waiting.
But seriously, I find it odd the resistance to what is actually quite easy to grasp

But you still don't question your reasoning and keep saying we're wrong. And that's even odder.
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Jeu 14 Oct 2010, 21:28

Callmeace wrote:
Observe the title - "A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb"

I saw that, I have a way and decided to drop in here and discuss how it can be done.

Then discuss it, and stay away from vagueness. Until so far you're ideas have been either wrong or not understandable. You're best argument till so far has been that with a lot of effort somewhere in the future it could be done. Sorry, that's just not good enough.
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Jeu 14 Oct 2010, 21:31

few quotes from callmeace:
Callmeace wrote:
In the following stages I'll leave to your imagination the advanced calculations from years of mathematical thinking which could be employed.

The maths itself is simple but the mathematical techniques and knowledge would assuredly be complex and advanced to generate the character string.

You have it in your minds that it can't be overcome, and are blocked to approaching the task in a different way where your Maths needn't apply.

So, maths is advanced, maths is powerful, maths is needed to build this "algorithm", yet it doesn't need to apply. Looks a bit strange to me... and now an invaluable quote from Manao:
Manao wrote:
Maths still apply: you're the one using an uber-mathematical compression scheme, and you don't like it when the same maths prove you wrong?

Well said. Damn well said... :)

...do we really need to further "discuss" this topic? ;)

Oh and BTW, I've invented the perfect compression algorithm. Here it goes, step by step:

1) found a company.
2) output several press releases claiming that your compression scheme is the best and that it will work on any data, up to a 1000:1 compression ratio.
3) collect investors' money in a Swiss bank account.
4) state that you're going to demo it privately for Philips and that they're going to buy an exclusive license.
5) collect Philips' rival companies money to have it demoed a few days before Philips.
6) the day before the demo, claim the money collected at points 3 and 5 from your bank.
7) change your name into something less suspicious.
8) fly to Maldives with a couple of top-models.
9) done!

...finally an algorithm that works without that boring math stuff... anyone available for beta testing it? :mrgreen:

Virus
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Jeu 14 Oct 2010, 21:32

I'm ready to test 8), it seems to be the crucial point of the algorithm :mrgreen:
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Ven 15 Oct 2010, 05:57

Nic wrote:
@Joe Fenton: I can see what your trying to say, but your comments were perhaps a little harsh.

Yes, perhaps. One thing always ticked me off - I'd be sitting in a partial differential equations class and there's ALWAYS one student who just doesn't get it. The prof writes 2 + 2 on the board, then in the next step writes 4, and sure as the sun shines, he's got his hand up - How'd you get that?

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! What are people with no concept of math doing in these classes?

Anywho, this just struck me the same way. People may dream of shortcuts, but sometimes you just HAVE to do three pages of Eigen-function expansions.

I'll try to be more civil in the future.
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Ven 15 Oct 2010, 05:59

Virus wrote:
Here's a 6 bytes sequence:

159, 174, 181, 148, 136, 131

translated in binary, this is:

10011111 10101110 10110101 10010100 10001000 10000011

so uncompressed, the input string is 48 bits, as you can see.

Note that the data present correlation (= similarity) between the samples and that means you can compress them. The data looks quite like the luma taken along a row of a video frame, so we're dealing with something real here.

Please shows us your idea and produce an output binary string (shorter than 48 bits, possibly :)). You can do whatever you want, up to and including splitting the string into a couple of pieces to ease your calculations.

Egad, I'm still wrestling with these numbers, trying to derive a simple equation. That shows you what a pathetic geek I am.

Bytes 159 174 181 148 136 131 strung together, translates to decimal 175,572,719,536,259. That number is evenly divisible by 359, which gives 489,060,500,101. But is that a prime? (I haven't been able to divide it any further.) I'm losing hope that this can be reduced to any kind of equation which I can represent in fewer than six bytes.

@callmeace: If you have some advanced maths which can solve this problem, please post it!

@Virus, you're an evil dude. ;)
Johan1951

PrécédentSuivant

Retour vers Doom9's Forum (0105)