A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb

A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb

Re: A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb

Messagepar Johan1951 » Ven 15 Oct 2010, 06:35

MrTVideo wrote:
Whats that got to do with compression :mrgreen:

Well, the falling rocket would end up very compressed. Just like the astronauts on the cannon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Johan1951

Message(s) : 3752

Messagepar Johan1951 » Ven 15 Oct 2010, 06:36

WoW I looked at that article on ESCAPE VELOCITY at 9000 km you still need a 7km/sec kick in the pants. You can see why I had to write those lines (7km/sec. 420km/hr) I read an article on just how a rocket can get in space. All to do with how fast they can dispose of their fuel (A super garbage disposal device). This really stuffs the original thread. I apologuise but could not resist the banter, Good will to all.
Terry ;)

Spelling correction I hate it when I do that
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Ven 15 Oct 2010, 06:36

If I remember my Astrophysics lectures correctly an escape velocity of 11Km/s (not sure if this is correct but dont want to work it out) is necessary if and only if the rocket etc is not propelled in any way after launch.

Effectively rockets can get into space because they expend the amount of energy necessary to increase their potential energy such that they escape Earth's gravity field (not totally but good enough.)

By a similar token, if you had a long enough ladder you could climb it to the Moon by expending the energy to raise your potential energy.
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Ven 15 Oct 2010, 06:37

Wow the arrogance in this thread :) "I can't imagine any way to do this, so it will never be possible" - Tsk tsk.

Well it was always thus, most people saying something was impossible and then suddenly someone has a brilliant idea and something new becomes possible.

I'd like to think there are great compression ideas yet to be discovered, and unless 3D storage becomes so cheap that nobody cares about size I'm sure we'll find them eventually (unless we nuke the planet)

And hey, the people who make Stuffit just made a new compression algorithm that will losslessly compress JPEG files by an average of 30% (as opposed to zip's 0%-1%)

What do you know :mrgreen:
http://compression.ca/act/act-jpeg.html
Johan1951

Messagepar Johan1951 » Ven 15 Oct 2010, 06:39

Foofaraw wrote:
Wow the arrogance in this thread :) "I can't imagine any way to do this, so it will never be possible" - Tsk tsk.

And hey, the people who make Stuffit just made a new compression algorithm that will losslessly compress JPEG files by an average of 30% (as opposed to zip's 0%-1%)

It's not arrogance, it's intelligence. He didn't claim his movie compression saved 30%, he claimed it saved 10,000%. If you can't see the difference, you would certainly mistake intelligence for arrogance. :roll:
Johan1951

Précédent

Retour vers Doom9's Forum (0105)