An incredible invention: 'The Source Code'

An incredible invention: 'The Source Code'

Re: An incredible invention: 'The Source Code'

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 10:24

Zorrero wrote:
But the technique Sloot used was not by compression.

If you take existing data and make it smaller with ability to restore it to it's original form you ARE talking about compression, no matter which means you use to achieve the size reduction. The counting argument is valid for whatever algorithm you use.

Edit: fixed the quote tag
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 10:25

I think you compression guys are looking at this wrong. After all, if you would have told a caveman that one day he could have a GBA instead of a rock to draw on, he would most certainly said you were a loon. Then he'd have hit you over the head with a club for being so foolish.

And if you would have told me in 1980 that someday entire movies would be on a magical little disk, I may have thought you were a loon, too.

So lets go ahead and plagerize The Matrix for a moment...

Don't try to bend the spoon, that's impossible.

Try to realize the truth, that there is no spoon.

Believable story? I dunno. Possible? You bet.
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 10:25

This reminds me of an old argument:

Can a deity create a logical proof that is logically impossible?

Lasafrog, the technology is not the issue here. Size is the issue here, the only reason an entire movie fits on a disk is because there is a large amount of storage space on such a disk. No matter how you look at it, 64k is still 64k.

On a trivial note, there is one way of doing this. Have the library of compression algorithmns as the entire movies, and thus you would need only trigger the correct algorithmn to get a perfect reproduction of the movie. Thus, you could successfully fit 65536 movies on 64kb at whatever length you wanted.
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 10:26

Reminds me of the story of the Indian scientist who turned water into a fuel for his car...
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 10:27

The Dark Prince wrote:
Thus, you could successfully fit 65536 movies on 64kb at whatever length you wanted.

How? This way all movies would have to be essentially the same.. I mean.. you can't just generate image out of thin air. Since it's all pre-recorded and not rendered in real time..

I saw a demo recently done by some german guys who fit an entire 3D game demo in 64kB but the point is they didn't store textures, they just made some using math. The demo takes about 300 MB of memory to run :)
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 10:29

Half-Saint wrote:
The Dark Prince wrote:
Thus, you could successfully fit 65536 movies on 64kb at whatever length you wanted.

How?

There are max. 256 movies, so single byte tells which "decoder" to use - that "decoder" contains the movie data itself.
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 11:45

Actually if you used a two byte register, then there are a maximum of 32768 movies in 64k.
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 11:47

Merman wrote:
Reminds me of the story of the Indian scientist who turned water into a fuel for his car...

yeh, water contains two atoms of hydrogen, and one atom of oxygen. hydrogen reacts violently with oxygen when given the requisite engery (i.e. burned), so it *is* capable of being fuel. there are two reasons this hasn't been implemented; conspiracy on the part of oil companies and their powerful (*cough* people like Bush *cough*) friends, and perhaps also the fact that it requires a fair bit of energy to separate the oxygen and hydrogen atoms in water.

you probably all knew that, but..just in case :). i'm off to bed now, 'coz my brother's yelling at my loud typing :?

-duncan

PS - the video thing's impossible, in my eyes. 64KB is still just 65536 numbers between 0 and 255. not enough to store even a second of movie.
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 11:48

If you ask me, the next big breakthrough won't be in media storage - it will be in processing power.

Scientists and engineers have been tinkering with circuits on the sub-atomic level, i.e. 'mainframe in a pinhead' kind of stuff. :shock:

IMHO, that's where the tech world as we know it will change first.
Chris_Geurts

Notapor Chris_Geurts » Mié 20 Oct 2010, 11:49

64k even if just used to reference prerendered algorythms that create 'random' code generated answers (which would be near enough to the original data to pass), is just not enough. Also the computing power needed to do this would be simply immense..
Chris_Geurts

AnteriorSiguiente

Volver a Lemon64.com (0904)