Jan Sloot "the lost Soucecode"

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:09

On 4 march 1999, a computer programmer with the name Jan Sloot, made an appointment with Philips boss of the ict Bram Peper.
According to Jan Sloot he made the invention of the century.
The 54 year old Jan Sloot connected a 24" monitor and a black box that was not bigger then 5 boxes of sigarets.

Sloot bowed silenced over his equipment, he worked all night to get the movies on his "amazing" video recorder.
He was satisfied and said that everything worked like it supposed to be.
There were more people around the big table like alot of bigchiefs of Philips.

1 seat was free for Bram Peper.
Suddenly the door opens and a big man entered the room Bram Peper followed by Philips researchscientist Carel-Jan van Driel.
When the hands are shaken and visitcards are given, Jan Sloot stood up to show his demostration.

De electrotechnician turns on the monitor and sticks a white smartcard with a 64 kilobyte in the black box.
There is a code on the smartcard that could allow 16 movies to be stored on the smarcard.

All eyes were focused on Pieper and Van Driel.
Pieper looked at the black box and the monitor.
Pieper was amazed his mouth fell open.
He asked if it really were 16 full movies that are played...
Jan Sloot pressed stop and said: "tell me what movie you want to see".
One at the time Jan Sloot forwarded and rewinded the movies.
Bram Pieper stood up and said: "THATS IT"!
They checked if there wasnt a harddisk in the black box but there wasnt any harddisk in it.

Pieper and Van Driel felt down of amazing.
Jan Sloot said he could compress 16 movies on an allday chip.
He said he even could even compress 64 movies on it.
That is a shrinkfactor of 2.000.000 !
With the the invention of Jan Sloot you could copy all the movies that are made in the world on 1 CD!
Or on a cd all cd's that are ever published in the world!!! (imagine that).

You dont have to be Sherlock Holmes to imagine the consequence.
You can wave UPC and the whole hightech world goodbye.

The problem was that Jan Sloot was very paranoide, he was very scared someone stole his invention (no sh*t).
And a day before he signed a big contract that would change the world, he died on a heart attack, and he took the source code together with him in his grave...

We were only a day from the invention of the sentury.

This is a true story about a Dutch electotechnician from Nieuwegein (utrecht).
There are alot of television programs on Dutch tv with this as subject, and there is also a book published.
If you want to read the whole story click HERE, only its in Dutch.

Bron: http://forum.ferion.com/showthread.php?t=5131
Johan1951

Re: Jan Sloot "the lost Soucecode"

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:10

excuse me, but this is plainly ridiculous ^^

(the only file you will ever be able to compress to 1/2,000,000 of it's original size will probably be a textfile, consisting of something like 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000, if you get what I mean =p )

PS: my latest invention will take care of all poverty and starving on earth, I think I will call it "the magic bean" - you just need to throw in on the ground and then a big tendril will grow and all you need to do is climb up and... well... you probably know the story T.t
Johan1951

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:11

I agree Maudib. This ranks up there with the fact that the automotive industry is in cahoots with OPEC to suppress an invention that gives you 1000 miles to the gallon :) :lol:
Johan1951

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:13

Tomonic wrote:
De electrotechnician turns on the monitor and sticks a white smartcard with a 64 kilobyte in the black box.
There is a code on the smartcard that could allow 16 movies to be stored on the smarcard.
HERE, only its in Dutch.

EZ. the smartcard was really a RF trans/receiver and didn't actually store the data. He had another computer in his briefcase or with his coat sending the datafeed.
Johan1951

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:14

Muad, my invention is better. it lets you roast humans alive, creating a tender and moist meal. this will end starvation, and get our poverty level's low. i think i will call it the magic meal maker...
Johan1951

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:15

why haven't I thought of that myself :)
yummy :roll:
Johan1951

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:15

Too bad you guys are flaming this story, cuss this is definitly no nonsense.
Johan1951

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:16

Dude. I was serious. Something in the mix was a wireless lan card/modem/transceiver or there was somehow a hidden data device. If it had absolutely NO external ports and had the movies "hardwired" into the system it'd be a BIT more believable.

Maud is right: that type of compression for any type of media is impossible given a binary OS. And non-binarys haven't proven to be easily scalable...nor has anyone developed the hardware for them to do general compression, much less on a movie file.

Basically the principle of compression is you get rid of the unnecesscary information. Even if you have a memorized template of possible shapes and vectors, you can't invoke images much more optimized than present media formats. So...what info is unneeded that it can be eliminated and later reconstructed?

i.e. it's a hoax
Johan1951

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:17

He made new alfabet for digital informationstorage that no longer work with a binary 0's and 1's, but with a more effective method.
The priciple is simple. Just like a piece of text, but with a limit of characters, a movie builded up in colours and sound.
All those basisinformation were stored in 5 algorythms and in 5 diffrent memory.

With the storage of movies every algorythm should have a size of 74MB. In total 350Mb: the engine of the invention.
The only thing that was needed to start this was a fitting key.
Sloot calculated for every page of a boek, or a image of a movie, a unique code that was again a unique code of himself.
That last code, the key, took only 1 kilobyte memory, no matter the lenght of the movie or big the book was.
On 1 simple chipcard you could store dozens of keys this way.

Someone could for example order with a gsm within seconds the keys for some movies. And then later at home you can watch movies just with the "normal" algorytms.

All soundcarring industries - cd, dvd, tape , diskette no longer exsist.
Companies that invest bilions in fiber networks also.

The old copperwire would suddenly be worth gold.
Same as the gsm.

This wasnt just 1 show, they even flew to silicon valley to show his newest invention and they were also amazed of it.
Johan1951

Postby Johan1951 » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 19:41

If it were real, how did it get lost when he died

the fbi could find it...its what they do...unless of course he only had the whole thing in memory?
Johan1951

Next

Return to Ferion Forums (0904)