An incredible invention: 'The Source Code'

An incredible invention: 'The Source Code'

Re: An incredible invention: 'The Source Code'

Postby Chris_Geurts » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 13:05

The Dark Prince wrote:
Okay, assuming that this is real which I don't believe for one second,

:lol: ;)
The Dark Prince wrote:
if he didn't use current technology, then how can the storage space be measured in a scale designed specifically for binary storage spaces?

Good point. I guess the chips he used would've been more or less the same as conventional chips. So, a movie of originally 2 GB on a 64 kB chip gives a good idea.
The Dark Prince wrote:
a whole new way of thinking about digital code
If it's not binary, it's not digital code.

True. But now you're discussing semantics. Binary code is digital code. And you'd have to look at that differently first if you want to change something. Don't you think?
Chris_Geurts

Postby Chris_Geurts » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 13:07

Lasafrog wrote:
Certainly makes sense, using 3D storage mediums on a 2D device would be rather ground breaking if it were cost effective (which, as I heard, was the only reason it would take time).

Some mediums are already using 3D. DVDs use the 2D surface of a disk, but also use a second deeper layer to almost double the capacity. Blu-Ray is supposed to be 5 layers deep.

This article reminds me of the "genius" who created a generator that MAKES electricity. Hook it up to a battery, and it will light a house. His demonstration is very, very convincing.... but it's all fake. He's a magician, not a genius.

I suspect this guy who stored 64 movies in 64 kilobytes is *also* a magician. In other words, all trickery and no substance.
Chris_Geurts

Postby Chris_Geurts » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 13:08

By 3d I don't mean litteraly 3d in space (as with DVD) but as in binary has two dimensioins and 'trinary' has a third aspect.

I found some online background info explaining the principle in English (not the trinary principle).
Information memorandum [PDF] (2.5 MB) § 5.2 page 13
Chris_Geurts

Postby Chris_Geurts » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 13:10

"64 kilobytes" means 65536 sets of 8-bit binary 0s and 1s. It doesn't matter if the 64kB storage was holographic or dilithium powered or whatever, 64kB is 64kB (kiB, whatever). Trinary is a well understood concept, and if you had trinary storage, the number of distinct states that you could hold in 65536 of them would go from 2^65536 to 2.something^65536, not that big of a difference when talking about full-length movies.

His algorithms, if anything, probably treated a sequence of 2d frames like slices in a 3d texture, which has been done before.

--edit--

okay, after reading the PDF, I'm 100% convinced that this is a load of crap. He uses normal binary byte-based storage, has a giant ROM containing a dictionary of data/video/audio pieces, and some magic way of converting any unique abritrarily long stream of dictionary keys into a single 1k megakey, which losslessly produces the exact same stream of dictionary keys back out.
Chris_Geurts

Postby Chris_Geurts » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 13:12

Yeah, but if you've seen The Matrix you know anything is possible. Eh... wait... did I take the red or the blue pill.
Ok, this is gonna hurt... maybe I was wrong. :oops:
I was thinking: how could he have fooled all those experts. Maybe he stuffed all his equipment with RAM. The only possible way I think, but still a pretty unique trick at the time. It would also explain his paranoid behaviour about handing over the thing.

But still a fantastic story to read. About how greedy people can be and how they all counted themselves rich.

Bye everyone :oops: :mrgreen:
Chris_Geurts

Postby Chris_Geurts » Wed 20 Oct 2010, 13:15

Zorrero wrote:
Ok, this is gonna hurt... maybe I was wrong. :oops:

That's ok pal, it isn't nearly as painful being wrong over here as it is at the lemonamiga forum...
Chris_Geurts

Previous

Return to Lemon64.com (0904)