The Source Code (MUST READ)

The Source Code (MUST READ)

Re: The Source Code (MUST READ)

Beitragvon Johan1951 » So 17 Okt 2010, 11:25

Hitokage wrote:
It'd be easier in a programming sense to just itterate digits of pi until you came across the desired values. :P

Yup. Though even if you did that, you'd need to store the offset into pi for someone else to get the data back.

You can show that the offset would have to be, on average, just as long as the data you wanted to generate (and that's only if the digits of pi are completely random, which I don't think has been proven yet).
Johan1951

Beitragvon Johan1951 » So 17 Okt 2010, 11:26

Aaaaa0 wrote:
Yup. Though even if you did that, you'd need to store the offset into pi for someone else to get the data back.

No you wouldn't. Just store that offset in the same way, thus saving even more space! I'm a genius! Now, time to go get some venture capital funding...
Johan1951

Beitragvon Johan1951 » So 17 Okt 2010, 11:27

Iapetus write:
No you wouldn't. Just store that offset in the same way, thus saving even more space! I'm a genius! Now, time to go get some venture capital funding...

Recursive endless encryption... :lol:
Johan1951

Beitragvon Johan1951 » So 17 Okt 2010, 11:28

I wonder if Will Wright hired these guys? I wonder how readable their code is?

:lol: I can imagine it now, no internal documentation whatsoever and it looks like one big mathematical formula.
Johan1951

Beitragvon Johan1951 » So 17 Okt 2010, 11:30

Aaaaa0 wrote:
It won't work. The pigeonhole principle will guarantee that I can generate a sequence that won't be covered by any of your procedural algorithms, as long as the number of bits of input to your system is less in length than the number of bits I get back out.

http://www.dogma.net/markn/FAQ.html#Q19

Yeah about 5 minutes after I posted that I figured that out :mrgreen: , so yeah, the precisely thing ain't gonna happen. The "offsets into procedural sequence" thing could still work too though for some of the blocks.

If someone generated a big database of block values that could be procedurally generated, you could recursively try to find those patterns in the data and shrink things down. You could compress stubborn non-matching blocks with more traditional compression as well.

I might try a quick experiment with this stuff. It won't work but it'll be fun to try :mrgreen:
Johan1951

Beitragvon Johan1951 » So 17 Okt 2010, 11:31

jesus christ i can't fucking believe you people. this is a load of bullshit. do some reading and think for yourself for a fucking change.

can you compress a movie to a single bit? yes. would you lose every piece of information that makes the movie unique? yes.
Johan1951

Beitragvon Johan1951 » So 17 Okt 2010, 11:32

CrunchyB wrote:
I study CS at the University of Twente. Yeah, Pieper is a bit of joke here, I've heard people refer to Sloot (Dutch for ditch) & Pieper (Dutch for potato) as "the people who could store a byte in a bit".
Pieper isn't a proper professor, he's just a PR front. He doesn't actually do anything but give the occasional nonsensical visionary lecture. The only reason why he's associated with this university is because he used to run Philips which is a huge company, research wise.

This whole Sloot deal is embarassing but no big deal.

I do feel Pieper is a visionaire. I know his ideas are somewhat out of the ordinary, but in essence, his thoughts hold a lot of truth. The story is true, I don't know about those new compression tools. He had some pretty having investing behind him, especially for a one-man-plan. It has been suggested that he was killed because of his ideas.
Johan1951

Vorherige

Zurück zu Neogaf.com (0305)