A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb

Berichtdoor Webmaster » ma 11 okt 2010, 20:25

Hi,

just watched some TV here in the Netherlands, and I'm absolutely surprised.

In 1999, someone named "Jan Sloot" claimed to have stored a number of ten complete movies on 64 kilobyte. In this documantary they said that Philips and some other companys invested millions in this "Sloot Coding System". Some days after he showed his invention he died all at once. There is even a book written about this mystery.

Myself, I don't believe in this "Sloot Coding System".

If you want more information, I do have links, but they're all in Dutch.

Bron: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=82167
Webmaster
Beheerder

Re: A man claims to store multiple movies on 64kb

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:10

hah you beat me to it. i was about to post this:

i just saw a most intresting program on Dutch TV about the "sloot Digital Coding System". Electronics expert Jan Sloot spend 20 years developing a coding system that compresses video to mind boggling extent.

SDCD is a new alphabet for storing digital information which no longer uses the binary system of 1 and 0, but a much more efficient method. Just like with text, movies are composed of a finite number of colors and sounds. All those finite elements were encoded in 5 different algorithms of 74MB resulting in a total of 370MB - this is the core of the invention. The only thing needed to complete the system would be a fitting key which takes up just 1KB. Like this, dozens of keys can be stored on a simple chip.

So after making a payment, somebody could download the keys to a dozen movies via cellphone to then watch the movies at home on a player containing the basic algorithm. Should this ever reach the commercial market all CD, DVD, tapes and diskettes would cease to exist, aswell as fiber optics. The coper wire and the cell phone would be worth more than gold. Everything would change

Jan Sloot presented his Digital Coding System to a bunch of investitors who eventually took him to the Philips headquarters, where he showed his invention to Philip's CEO Roel Pieper. The demonstration on the top floor of the Philips headquartes involved playing 16 movies at the same time from a box containing a 64KB chip, attached to his laptop - no hard drive.

Roel Pieper took Jan Sloot to the headquarters of Computer Associates in the States where he was told "you are going to be the richest man on earth"

But two days before the source code was to be handed over he was mysteriously found dead in his garden. The source code has never been found by the security agencies assigned to try and recover it, but the box was apparently previously opened by Philips without Jan Sloot's permission ... stolen?

The story has been written in a book ("De Broncode" transl The Source code) by a journalist who was present during much of the demonstrations and followed everything closely.

several online links document the story and the technology in detail but unfortunatly there is no english information!

the final part of the TV program is on Sept 12

i hope the dutch readers of this forum can start a discussion about this. here are some links. alternatively, google for "sloot digital coding system". very much looking forward to discussions about this

article in the press: http://www.nrc.nl/W2/Nieuws/2001/01/23/Vp/07.html
website of the tv program: http://www.netwerk.tv/index.jsp?p=items ... k&a=131206
detailed story from Quote Media: http://www.gids.nl/techno/jan-sloot.html
article by a non believer: http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~immin ... ed2001.htm
another article: http://www.uitgeverijpodium.nl/index.html

and technical discussions can be found on usenet in nl.comp.programmeren
Webmaster
Beheerder

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:12

Yes, just the links I meant.

Stef24, I must say your post is much better than mine :)

But, if this invention of Jan Sloot is real, then it's certainly stolen, however I can't believe Philips commiting "a murder with robbery".

But, throwing the binary system of 0's and 1's away, how is this possible, since all processors and what else uses 0's and 1's. A whole new machine is required, while he showed his invention on a regular laptop.
Webmaster
Beheerder

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:13

hey i just translated parts of text i found in those links. the program didnt really go into much detail about the technology

speaking of the technology, most of it goes way beyond what's in my head. i guess if he used a system other than the binary one, it must have been coming out of this box. thats what he reluctantly gave to Philips and he got very pissed after he found out it had been opened.

if you think of the implications this technology could have im sure alot of CEO's would put some money into a kitty to "bust a cap in his ass". would not be the first time ey
Webmaster
Beheerder

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:13

Yeah, I also saw it. It's a strange story. Apperently it happened several years ago (July 1999).

Anyone knows about any investigations, police reports? Is he murdered (I guess there's no evidence for it), signs of burglary (I assume all the stuff was in his house)?
Webmaster
Beheerder

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:14

one of the above links says they suspect him having a safe somewhere that stashed the source code. they didnt find anything at home and obviously it wasnt all in his memory

very strange almost disturbing story indeed
Webmaster
Beheerder

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:14

65536 bytes to play with
Divided by 10 movies = 6553 bytes per movie

It takes 3.625 bytes to address 387973120 (370MB) bytes of "magic video data"

There are 129600 frames for a 90 minute movie @ 24fps

Which means if you only needed to address one single piece of video data per frame (which is completely rediculous), for a complete movie you would need:
129600 * 3.625 bytes = 469800 bytes

If you then wanted this to fit into the aforementioned 6553 bytes per movie you would need some further kind of arithmetic compression of (469800/6553) = 71 times - and what you would be compressing would essentially resemble a bunch of random numbers (indicies into the magic video data), which we all know doesn't compress well losslessly even with the best known algorithms.

This story is a complete non-starter. The only disturbing element is that anyone would actually believe it is possible, let alone make a TV show on it...
Webmaster
Beheerder

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:15

The only disturbing element is that anyone would actually believe it is possible, let alone make a TV show on it...

Not only that. It was demonstrated to several people (also IT compagnies). Investors invested millions in it (Pieper from philips for example).

Second part starts how, so I have to watch TV ...
Webmaster
Beheerder

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:16

Sounds like this works similarily to MIDI??? Addressing existing samples??

However even if it does work you'd loose all the things like color finesse or certain types of grain in a movie - they'd all basically look the same...
I don't think film makers would approve...
Webmaster
Beheerder

Berichtdoor Webmaster » wo 13 okt 2010, 13:18

This compression of Jan Sloot doesn't only conern to video or audio, to all sort of data, is what I make up of the story.

But, if you haven't seen the TV programme, you wouldn't believe the whole story anyhow.

I'm really amazed of all the investments. Philips invested millions, so did ABN Amro (Dutch Bank), even Computer Associates invested in it. Unbelieveable, you wouldn't just invest millions if someone says that he invented a compression factor million, so I'm curious what it makes so reliable.
Wilbert wrote:
Anyone knows about any investigations, police reports? Is he murdered (I guess there's no evidence for it), signs of burglary (I assume all the stuff was in his house)?

According to the TV Program he had a truckload of paper in his room and this is all disappeared after his death. He claimed that he had his invention stored in a safe, not found yet. There wasn't an autopsy performed, so his immideate heart-attack isn't cleared up.

**Thinking to myself: Why can't I just go talking Dutch here if this discussion is bound by almost only Dutch people. :mrgreen:
Webmaster
Beheerder

Volgende

Keer terug naar Doom9's Forum (0105)